TTSI Resume 7





Short Line had established a business relationship with the
Sierra in 1972 and beginning in 1975 Stan Garner became the southern
California film liaison for the railroad. They were definitely
interested in having more equipment available for their movie
operations and offered Short Line a place to call home. The collection
was moved in June of 1976. This move not only provided a good
location for film work and equipment maintenance, it afforded
the Company an opportunity to operate a number of special excursions.


After the end of the 1976 operating season, Short Line and the
Virginia & Truckee Railroad were unable to reach an agreement
for the continued use of its equipment. Also, Bill Oden had been
offered a position as part of the restoration team at the newly
created California State Railroad Museum is Sacramento. The equipment
in Virginia City was moved to the Sierra Railroad at Jamestown
in the spring of 1977. Locomotive #8 was brought into compliance
with Federal Railroad Administration regulations in 1977-78 and
the Company’s first Sierra RR excursion was operated in November
of that year.


Short Line kept its collection on the Sierra Railroad until
1987 where it continued in film and excursion service until sold
to the Nevada State Museum.


In early 1977, Ron Steiner joined Bill Oden California Department
of Parks and Recreation to supervise restoration of its extensive
collection of historic railroad equipment for the California
State Railroad Museum, which was under construction in Sacramento.
Their work established new standards for restoration excellence
and accuracy. That year the Sierra Railroad contracted with Short
Line to handle car cleaning and roundhouse tours associated with
Railtown 1897. Bob Verkuyl moved to Jamestown as Short Line’s
manager for the Sierra project. Stan Garner remained in southern
California as Film Liason, but frequently traveled back and forth
to Jamestown to work on equipment and coordinate film projects
and excursions.


As the work in Sacramento was winding down, Short Line was
retained as the prime contractor for the Nevada State Museum
on comparable restoration projects in Carson City. This series
of projects ran from 1979 to 1988 and resulted in the restoration
of three ex-Virginia & Truckee Railroad steam locomotives.
No. 25, Baldwin 1905, restored to c.1935 appearance and operating
condition, No. 18 Dayton, Central Pacific 1873, restored
to its 1882 post wreck rebuilt appearance, but non operating
condition. No 22 Inyo, Baldwin 1875 to c. 1892 appearance and
operating condition. and seven 19th Century ex-Virginia &
Truckee Railroad passenger and freight cars. Caboose Coach #9,
Kimball 1873, restored to its as delivered appearance and opearting
condition. Box Car # 1013 The company also constructed a working
wooden turntable, using original Southern Pacific Railroad erection
drawings, and initiated regularly-scheduled steam train operations
on the museum grounds.


The company was approached in 1980 by the location manager
for Newhall Land & Farming Company’s Film Location Unit to
see if it would be interested in setting up a movie train operation
on their 40,000 acre ranch in the Santa Clarita Valley, near
Los Angeles. Constructing a new railroad was deemed impractical
and the project was shelved. In 1983 the Southern Pacific abandoned
that portion of the Santa Paula Branch which ran through the
ranch, and in 1984 Newhall Land purchased the track and right-of-way
across its property. Four miles of isolated track was left in
place at Castaic Junction for use as a film location. After revising
and updating its 1980 business plan, Short Line leased this section
of track for film work in June 1985. Market analysis showed contemporary
trains were in demand at the time and period trains were not,
so the company began acquiring modern passenger and freight cars.
Only a few pieces of its collection of historic equipment came
to the property; the rest continued to be used in films on the
Sierra Railroad. The new location became known as the Newhall
Ranch Movie Train and was an immediate success. The company also
continued its railroad-related research, consulting, appraisal
and restoration activities.


The fall of 1987 saw Short Line Enterprises, Inc. enter into
an agreement with the Nevada State Museum to sell locomotive
#8, all of the V&T cars in the Company’s collection and a
few other selected pieces to the Museum. This left only the Newhall
Ranch Movie Train equipment, locomotive #1 and three freight
cars in the collection. With the sale of more than 90% of the
Company’s historic collection Fifty percent of the existing shareholders
elected not to continue in the business. The Company completed
a voluntary twelve month plan of liquidation in December 1988.


James F. Clark, Jr. and Logan S. Garner acquired the remainder
of the assets as part of the liquidation and sought an additional
investor to become the general partner in a new venture. In 1988
Short Line Enterprises/Ltd., a California limited partnership,
was founded by SLE, Inc., a California corporation, to acquire
and continue the movie train operation and other activities established
by Short Line Enterprises, Inc.

[Previous][Next]
[Home]